Dr. Maria Montessori saw that during the child’s first years, their absorbent nature is unmatched to that of any other time in their lives. This time of rapid development creates a period of growth in which the child’s needs are dynamic and change instantaneously. Other remarkable qualities of toddlers include: living in the present and wanting to work with reality, exploring their world using all of their senses, rapid development of language, and learning through active play. Your role in the Toddler Program community would be to understand the need of each child and offer appropriate opportunities for encouraging exploration, independence, movement, play, language and social development.
Our Toddler Program takes place within our Park Campus, located on the northwest corner of Hidden Valley Park, offering students a lush natural atmosphere. We have bright classrooms filled with toddler-sized furniture and materials. Reality-based activities are of great interest to toddlers, so be prepared to help them learn how to perhaps: dress themselves, use the bathroom, set the table for a meal, wash dishes, and prepare food. This will help the child become independent, develop gross and fine motor skills, and build self esteem from their successes and from overcoming frustrations within a supportive environment.
We are looking for a 2-3 F/T staff with availability to work between 7:30 to 4PM or 9:00 to 5:45PM.
Typical daily tasks include:
– Leading a group with stories, movement, songs, and other activities
– Assisting with snack preparation
– Engaging in conversation, reading books and poems, telling stories, and singing songs with children to increase their opportunities for language
– Using positive discipline techniques to help students gain self-discipline and resolution skills
– Offer children the love, individual attention and support that they need to be successful and an independent thinker.
– Cleaning and sanitizing the classrooms and tools for learning
– Following safety procedures and supervising children
Some benefits of being a BMS Teaching Assistant include:
– The opportunity to directly impact the education of children positively
– Being a part of our amazing reputation
– Professional development programs and scholarship opportunities for those who are interested in becoming a certified Montessori Instructor
– Competitive Hourly Rate of $19.00 per hour with a sign-on bonus $200 for a limited time
– Health Insurance benefits are optional for full-time staff
You may be a great fit if you:
– Enjoy the presence of young children and want to help foster their growth
– Demonstrate flexibility and consistency in your work ethic and history
– Have experience observing children and have a background knowledge of the Montessori method.
Per our DCYF (Department of Children, Youth and Families) regulations regarding educators, we require that all employees complete a PBC (portable background check), fingerprinting, WA State Food Handler’s Permit, proof of MMR (Measles, mumps, and rubella) and Covid-19 immunization and proof of a negative Tuberculosis skin test. If not yet completed, our team will gladly help walk you through these necessary steps.
Bellevue Montessori School is accredited by the American Montessori Society and has been an established leader in Montessori education on Seattle’s Eastside since it first opened in 1966.
Come be a part of our amazing family of educators and teach the next generation of our community!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome all interested persons to apply who are 18 years or older.
“Children are human beings to whom respect is due, superior to us by reason of their innocence and of the greater possibilities of their future.” – Maria Montessori