The Franklin Montessori School is a private school serving approximately 180 students ages 3 months to 6 years. Established in 2002, Franklin opened our Washington, DC Forest Hills campus to bring its unique style to an urban setting. A fully accredited American Montessori Society school, we adhere strongly to our mission: We believe that when free, the potential of the human spirit is unlimited. In our thoughtfully prepared environment, children gain confidence and develop the social, physical and academic skills that will serve them for life. We are guides, as the young child discovers through exploration. From this foundation, the doors to independence, self-discipline, and leadership are unlocked.
With over 19,000 square feet of interior space, the school has 4 fully equipped primary Montessori classrooms, 4 Two-Year-Old classrooms, 2 Infant classrooms, indoor and outdoor play spaces, a well-stocked library, a beautiful art studio for primary children, and access to Rock Creek Park – home of our nature program “Beyond the Walls”.
We are seeking a passionate and positive role model with a strong work ethic who actively embrace life-long learning as well as a collaborative approach to education. The Montessori Primary Guide will lead the Primary classroom for 3 through 6-year-old students. The Montessori Guide helps direct the student’s activities academically, emotionally, and physically in a prepared environment that challenges each child to reach their full potential. The Montessori Guide will be responsible for presenting the Primary curriculum to students, participating in parent education and conferences, record-keeping, and assessment. The Montessori Guide will maintain a classroom and instructional program that supports the individual needs of the children in accordance with the mission and vision and Montessori Philosophy and methods.
- Bachelor’s degree or 120 semester hours of approved college credit or a Bachelor’s degree equivalence as determined by an independent agency authorized to evaluate foreign credentials
- Certification from AMS or AMI, MACTE-accredited training facility appropriate for the Primary Certification
- Minimum 3 years teaching experience working with young children; in a school or child-care facility
- Must be a self-motivated, self-directed team player that has the ability to establish and maintain wonderful relationships with staff, parents, and children
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Evidence of continuing education and professional growth to include meeting all necessary requirements as established by state law and regulatory agencies
- Must be able to stand, bend, lift, and work in an outdoor playground environment for extended periods of time while supervising children
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains a neat, well-organized, and attractively prepared environment consistent with Montessori pedagogy
- Works to develop close and effective relationships with parents, including opportunities to discuss and understand the child’s individual progress
- Maintains student records, reports, and evaluation
- Collaborates daily with classroom assistant and provides direction for classroom maintenance, classroom management, and students’ academic and social progress
- Participates in all required professional development
- Participates in the establishment and maintenance of a school-wide atmosphere of collegial support and adherence to professional standards
- Holds a firm commitment to uphold the school’s mission
- Attends and participates in all staff meetings
Pay is based on experience. If you meet the qualifications and are interested, please submit your cover letter and résumé.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 – $60,000.00 per year
Staff working with young children are required to be vaccinated, unless an exemption granted, per Mayor Bowser’s Order.