Overview of Geist Montessori Academy
Geist Montessori Academy (GMA) is located on the Northeast side of Indianapolis in McCordsville, Indiana. Authorized by Ball State University as a tuition-free, public charter school since 2006, GMA exists to provide the community with a public Montessori education for children in Pre-K through eighth grade. Our school is growing and expanding in our beautiful new campus on several acres of land with room for even greater expansion. As a public Montessori school, we believe:
- Each child should be respected and valued as a unique individual with immense potential to make the world a better, more peaceful place for all.
- Children should be allowed “freedom with responsibility.”
- Students benefit most from meaningful, multisensory learning experiences which enable creativity, ingenuity, and deep interdisciplinary connections.
- A whole-child, student-centered approach to education is essential to creating an engaging structure in which students are supported and encouraged to take educational risks and learn from mistakes.
At Geist Montessori Academy, faculty and staff are themselves learners and are constantly seeking out ways to improve their practice. Our teachers apply best practices through collaboration, communication, integrated curriculum, and continued professional development. GMA is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from candidates who reflect such diversity. We believe that with diversity of culture comes diversity of experiences and thought; and that our school community benefits from multiple perspectives as we all work together to provide our students with meaningful, multisensory learning experiences which enable creativity, ingenuity, and deep interdisciplinary connections. GMA students explore and develop complex understandings that engender a sense of self and purpose in the world.
Geist Montessori Academy seeks caring support staff team members to support teachers and children in a Montessori learning environment. The ideal candidate believes all students can succeed and that each child deserves the grace, patience, and care of adults to guide him/her on a lifelong journey of learning. The ideal candidate should desire to be a part of a team of dedicated educators who are themselves lifelong learners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with Lead Teachers to guide children academically, socially, and emotionally in a peaceful, prepared Montessori learning environment
- Support Lead Teachers in the preparation of lesson materials
- Approach the work with patience and grace
- Work with colleagues to support all students academically, socially, and emotionally.
- Reinforce and maintain standards of student behavior to provide an orderly, productive environment
- Communicate clearly with Lead Teachers and other school faculty/staff on the progress of individual students
- Maintain care/responsibility for school-owned curriculum, supplies, materials, property, and equipment to prevent loss or abuse and teaches children the same
- Contribute to the culture of the school through committees, events, and/or extra-curricular activities
High school diploma required
Two years college experience preferred, but not required
Montessori experience and or training preferred, but not required
Excellent communication skills
Willingness to be flexible as the needs of the classroom may change
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The position can be physically demanding. Reasonable accommodations may be made with advance notice.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resumé, and contact information for at least two professional references. Please combine all documents into one PDF and send it as an attachment to Mrs. Jen Gosch, Executive Director at email@example.com.
About Geist Montessori Academy
Geist Montessori Academy is a K-8th grade public charter school with a tuition-based Pre-K program. We are located about 30 minutes northeast of Indianapolis in a beautiful new building on more than 4 acres of land. We are excited about the potential for growth and the possibilities that lie ahead for our school community as we continue to provide a high quality, free, public Montessori education to children in the Indianapolis suburbs.