Willow Oak Montessori is a collaborative community of professionals passionate about engaging every child in an inspirational and equitable individualized learning journey. The Upper Elementary Teacher works closely in partnership with a classroom colleague to prepare a peaceful Montessori learning environment for their students. They will help ensure that each student is being effectively guided through the Montessori lessons in the upper elementary classroom in alignment with the North Carolina State Standards. In doing so, the Teacher will consider and respond to each student’s interests and readiness, using a variety of hands-on materials to appeal to the senses of all types of learners, scaffolding lessons within and across content areas and grade levels. The Teacher will exhibit a positive, optimistic attitude; treat all students in a fair and equitable manner; and communicate effectively with parents, colleagues and the community. They will embrace diversity, create a learning environment that fosters respectful interactions with peers and adults from all cultures and belief systems, and prepare students to become independent and responsible global citizens.
Contract Type and Term: Full-Time, 10 months
Position Reports To: Head of School
● Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution
● Elementary Montessori credential from a MACTE-accredited training program Or
● NC K-6 Elementary Education Teacher License
● 3-5 years of experience teaching in a Montessori elementary program
● Prepare and maintain an aesthetically-pleasing Montessori learning environment that fosters independence
● Assess and monitor the timely progression of each student through the lessons in the classroom over the course of each school year and the three-grade cycle.
● Meet with students and parent(s)/guardian(s) at the beginning of each school year to assess, develop and document individual academic goals as needed.
● Provide students with lessons according to their ability, readiness and achievement, rather than their age exclusively.
● Meet with students on a weekly basis to review student goals and progress, assess individual work plans, and develop new goals as needed.
● Document the variety of work, quality of work, skills practiced, skills mastered, lessons received, and lessons needed in student work plans.
● Work collaboratively with members of our Diverse Learning Community Team to ensure that students at risk or with special needs are accepted, respected, and served equitably in the least restrictive environment possible.
● Establish effective working relationships with all students and their families, paying particular attention to the barriers that students and families from traditionally disempowered populations face in fully participating in our community.
● Maintain regular communication with parents through email, classroom newsletters, semi-annual parent conferences, and phone calls.
● Respond to communications from parents within 24 business hours.
● Participate in the planning and delivery of parent education events as requested by the Head of School.
● Collaborate with colleagues to mentor and support one another to improve teacher effectiveness and equitable student outcomes.
● Maintain a professional attitude toward students, parents, faculty, and the community at all times. ● Strive to be a desirable example for students in attitude, action, speech, and dress.
● Maintain confidentiality regarding all children, families, faculty, and the school as stated in the Willow Oak Montessori Confidentiality Agreement.
● Comply with all policies and procedures included in the Personnel Handbook, Student Handbook, and any other policies and procedures that may be adopted by the Willow Oak Montessori Charter School Board of Directors.
● Abide by the American Montessori Society Code of Ethics and the Code of Ethics for North Carolina Educators.
● Engage in a continuing education program of study and a coaching model of self-reflective practice.
● Maintain accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law and school policy.
● Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities throughout the school day.
● Attend faculty meetings and perform other tasks/responsibilities that may be assigned by the Head of School.
Please submit completed employment application and current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Willow Oak Montessori Charter School
Our 17-acre, wooded campus in central North Carolina houses a K-8 Public Charter school and a private Children's House. Our Charter school opened in 2013 and we moved to our new permanent campus in 2020.